Labels & Adhesives
Labels & Adhesives: Factors affecting Pressure Sensitive Adhesives
There are various factors affecting the label adhesives, such as adhesive types for different application methods.
The factors affecting initial adhesion (strength of initial bond ) are:
- The texture of the surface, a smooth surface will give better adhesion than textured surfaces.
- The composition of the material, boxes made from recycled materials may contain substances such as oil.
- Clean or dirty surface, dirt will keep the adhesive away from the surface.
- Ambient temperature, low temperatures tend to make adhesives less tacky. Labels coated with acrylic adhesives will fall off if the temperature is low, and falling.
- Type of adhesive*, rubber-based, acrylic and solvent based adhesives** have different characteristics.
- Curing Time ( The time from application to full bond strength), initial bond strength is low, curing time varies, but typical values are between 24 to 36 hours.
The factors affecting long-term adhesion (strength of bond after several months) are:
- Storage environment, direct contact with the elements will deteriorate the adhesive.
- Time, the older the adhesive, the less strength it will exhibit. (Ideal strength is reached after 1 week, and under ideal conditions would last for ± 7 years)
- Type of adhesive.
*An assessment should be made to establish the ideal adhesive for your requirements.
** Solvent based adhesives are hazardous, and may even be illegal in some countries.
Why Choose TSC label printers
Unit 3, 23 Venturi Crescent, Hennopspark
BEE Level 2
Credit Cards accepted
Please remember to Like and follow us.
Please Note, Andtech bank account details have not changed. There is a fraudulent email doing the rounds claiming to be from our staff asking for bank account details to be changed.